During our recent family trip to New York, we stayed a few days in Rochester. Our first full day there, all the boys went fishing on Lake Ontario. It was fun catching a fish 10 times the size of anything I have caught before, but the real fun was Captain Len. We got an early start and as soon as we had a fish on the line, Len jumped into action.
As it turns out, there are a set of unwritten rules when charter fishing. Somehow, each of us managed to break one or more of these rules. When that happened the captain was not happy and he made no effort to hide it. Well, it turns out that my offense was reaching. Yes, I reached. I can hear the collective gasp of all you experienced fishers, and I bow my head in shame.
Obviously, Captain Len was emphasizing the importance of this rule when he put the above picture on his website. I was working the net on a catch and I made the fatal error of reaching for the fish with the net. Len, screamed: "DON'T REACH! DON'T REACH!!!" and quickly snatched the net from my hands and proceeded to reach over the boat for the fish. I am obviously new at this since I noticed no difference in our net handling. After the trip was over, Len apologized to my Dad for getting a little upset with us, so I have to give him credit for that. So if you find yourself in Rochester, look up Captain Len of Bullseye Charter Fishing, you are guaranteed a good time.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Don't Reach!
Posted by Zak Johnson at 10:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
And I missed that?? My son -- with a reach! I love your writing style Zakasaurus..you always make me laugh!
Zak, you were the only one that reached! The rest of us had trouble with the reel up, reel up, reel up proceedure.
Sorry D, I didn't mean to imply that anyone else committed that heinous act of reaching. But he did get after each of us for one thing or another.
i still can't believe you reached!!! you NEVER reach!!!
Post a Comment