Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Welcome Kennedy

We are proud to present to you the newest member of the family:

Kennedy Rose Johnson.


She was born at 1:31pm Central Standard Time at St. Luke's Baptist Hospital. She weighed in at 8lbs 3oz, and measures 19.5 inches.


Kate did an absolutely amazing job, seriously, it was awesome. She went into labor at about 7:00am but wasn't sure if it was the real deal so she sent me to work. Two hours later, I was on my way back home. She labored at home for 45min before we had our doula come over. The doula checked kate and she was dialated to a 5 (she told us 3 so it wouldn't scare Kate) and we headed to the hospital post haste. Upon arrival, there were no rooms available, so she went through a few contractions in the lobby while they got a room ready. 15 minutes later, we were in triage and she was dialated to a 6. another 20 min later and we were in the delivery room. at that point Kate was checked again, and she was at a 10. They made a quick call to the doctor (who luckily is in the office building connected to the hospital) and got ready for delivery.


Not so fast, baby wasn't coming out just yet. Kate pushed like a champ for over an hour and baby finally arrived. Kate planned on, and accomplished her goal of an unmedicated birth and I am totally amazed at how tough she is.


After delivery, Kate had a somewhat shaky afternoon, she lost a pretty good amount of blood and wasn't able to go to the bathroom without fainting. So she is taking it really easy right now. I followed baby to the nursery and gave her a bath and now, a few hours later, we are finally catching our breath and enjoying time together as a family. It was a total whirlwind, and such a humbling, amazing experience. Thanks to all of our wonderful family and friends who have been such a great support to us!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mom & Dad!! It's great to have Kennedy safely here. She's a beautiful baby. Can't wait to start spoiling her.

Barb Johnson said...

WELCOME KENNEDY!! We're so tickled she's here! Congrats grandpa Jim & grandma Rose! (by the way, her name sounds regal!!) Kate, you're amazing, and I'm truly in awe of you! You're way up high on my "A-list!" Good job, Zak, I'm so very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

how exciting!!! love her name and good job on the unmedicated birth :)

AND I wanted to tell y'all that Jake's cousin's husband works at USAA

SCOTT NELSON

Anonymous said...

Yea!! She is finally here. I'm so excited to see you all tomorrow!! Love you.

tracy layne said...

Welcome to the world Kennedy! I hope you enjoy helicopter rides and being completely spoiled!

She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and looks just like daddy! I am so so happy for you guys and thrilled to death to have another niece. I love all 3 of you so much and I cannot wait to see you!! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Zak & Kate! Kennedy is just beautiful, I love her name! Your pictures are really amazing...you can feel the emotion behind them. Kate, way to go on the unmedicated birth, that is not an easy thing to do! Enjoy that sweet little bundle!

The Snyder Family said...

CONGRATS Kate and Zak! Kennedy is SO beautiful!! Sounds like you did awesome Kate! Good Job!! I can't wait to hear more about everything! Take care and enjoy your new sweet little girl!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It's such an amazing feeling to hold that tiny little baby for the first time. Nothing will ever compare...except maybe another one. :)

Britt said...

CONGRATS! That's so stinkin exciting! Way to go Kate!! You guys make such a cute family, CONGRATS!

Regan and Annie Duckworth said...

Great job Kate!! I would love to talk to you about your experience. I am planning on a completely natural birth as well.

I love the name Kennedy.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

I'm so happy for you guys! What a sweet little family. And props to you Kate! You're so brave!

Melanie and Jake said...

Way to go natural Kate! As for me, I'll take the epidural-they are great! Congrats on the cute baby!!

Anonymous said...

Kate, congratulations!!!! That's so great! Hope all is still doing well!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are amazing! I am going to have to have a girl session and get the details when you get back. Sounds like things went really well for you. She is a doll! Congrats! I am so excited for you!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations Kate! You are the woman and your little girl is adorable! Can't wait to meet her!

J. Christian Jensen said...

This my first blog post ever! I'm so faux techno-hip, but thanks to my first niece I'm converted to the coolness of blogging. I read a ton of your old posts too.

Yipeee! I'm an uncle. I hear she has sticky up blond hair like I did. I'm glad you went with Kennedy. It was my favorite and since she has a middle name we can put the two names together in a nice southern fashion - she's a Texas rose.

J. Christian Jensen said...

P.S. Way to go with all-natural birth and no formula. Down with Nestle! You didn't eat the placenta did you? These things can be taken too far, you know ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kate and Zak! We were so excited to hear about little Kennedy yesterday. Keep posting pictures - she'll change so fast! Love you guys!

The Jones Family said...

Congratulations you guys!! Way to go Kate, you are amazing to go unmedicated. Your sweet baby is a doll and we are so happy for you and wish you the very best.

Carrie and Bri said...

Congratulations! I can not believe you had her naturally!!! What a woman!! She is beautiful and I can not wait to see her!

Emily said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and Zak! I know you guys are great parents and isn't is so fun to have a little girl first? You've got so much ahead of you now, and I bet it feels SO GOOD to finally have her out! I promise, the sleepless nights will get better! Enjoy every minute!

Colby & Brenda said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you. There's no more amazing experience than childbirth! We love to see pictures of her! (Colby & Brenda--old neighbors)

Jolene and Ty said...

Congrats! I bet your glad she finally came! You are going to love being a mom, It's the greatest thing!

Anonymous said...

Kate and Zak, we are so happy for you. I love the name Kennedy! She is darling and lucky to have such awesome parents!
Aunt Linda (& Uncle Dale)

Stephanie Lyn :) said...

Oh my gosh! She's so cute!! I've been at camp this last week and we were wondering if you'd had her yet!

Holly said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful! We're so happy for you guys. Can't wait til you are back in Utah and we can get together again.

ferardandy said...

good job, Kate! that's amazing. she is beautiful and arden is so excited to play.