Thursday, October 4, 2007

Wal-Mart


So today I had an interview with WalMart for a summer internship. Before I go further, let me put to rest any thoughts that I would spend my summer as a greeter. Nothing against greeters, but my focus is more on the technology that supports a business. So I could be working on improving the self-checkout kiosk programs, or a host of other nifty projects. It's pretty funny thinking about it, because the only side of Walmart I know is the retail store. But honestly, it's a good internship. They pay to move you out to Arkansas and back, give you a rent stipend, and pay you for your time. So as far as compensation goes, they are one of the better options I have seen so far. I haven't been offered a spot, but if I do, it's nice to have the option. Another plus is that the Ozarks would be right in my back yard.

6 comments:

Barb Johnson said...

Arkansas is too far away! Besides...I don't like WalMart. What would I tell people???

Barb Johnson said...

just giving you grief, Zak

Anonymous said...

I think you'd be a fine greeter, Zak! But I agree with your Mom, it's too far away.

Melanie and Jake said...

Our neighbors here did an internship at wal-mart last year and he didn't mind it. He said it was a pretty tense enviornment.

tracy layne said...

And how does Kate feel about Arkansas??? That is the important question because she has the power...

Zak Johnson said...

I suppose I should clarify that Walmart is only one of many possibilities. I did the interview because they are one of the better internships I have seen so far. They pay you and you get a real hands-on experience.